View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2004, 05:49 PM   #102
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
If I ever redid LPOTG, I think there could be a way to eliminate that sexist undertone of female viper pilots being such an incomprehensible concept without harming the integrity of the overall story, because as these last posts indicate that whole LPOTG attitude leads to these kinds of speculations about Sheba's background and how she could have risen to her position aboard the Pegasus.

Indeed, the fact that she is so easily accepted by everyone as an equal among warriors once she is introduced certainly shows how the writers had realized their mistake from earlier in the season with LPOTG, and I've always liked to think that she just made her way up without any special considerations because the Galactica universe was more enlightened than the LPOTG scenes indicated.

I honestly don't see it as sexism, EP. More like Israel, where women serve, not out of a sense of "equality", but because it is needed. After all, there are only so many Colonials, and about 27 gazillion Cylons. Since we saw no women Viper pilots in the pilot film, they might well have seemed a tad outre to the new trainees, as well as the surviving old hands who had spent most of their tour on the Galactica. Since Athena flies a shuttle, women pilots are NOT an anomoly, and even being on a Battlestar is hardly a non-combat role.
We also know little of Colonial mores on the relationships between men and women, and what is considered "proper" behavior. I think we need to guard against seeing everything throuigh the lens of modernity, and what is or isn't considered acceptable now, when looking at an "alien" culture.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote