View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #5
n-121973
Shuttle Pilot

After watching Fire in Space, It occured to me that something which wasn't in the episode (for understandable reasons of time and focus) was the political consequences of Adama's predicament. You didn't have the IFB which I imagine was up and running by then reporting to the Fleet n the Galactica (and its Commander's) cndition. Though admittedly there could have been a news blackout. But more importantly there was no coniving politicians contacting the Galactica every five centons asking after Adama and drawing up plans. It seems to me that Adama as the last surviving pre-holocaust Quorum member was the defacto President of the Colonies and if anything happened to him what happens to the political power structure in the Fleet?
The relevance of this in Baltar's Escape is that the subplot revolved around Adama being effectively retired. It might be good if one of the reasons behind the Quorum of 12's decision was to address the separation of powers concentrated on one man. They could refer back to Fire in Space as an example of why the current situation is bad for the Fleet. It would give the Quorum and (some) of its members a little more depth and realism than they're usually portrayed of ambitious incompetents. Just my two penneth.
n-121973 is offline   Reply With Quote