View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #22
SpyOne
On Vacation...

This is a place I advocate some big changes, but perhaps not the kind you'd think.

First, this needs to be pushed back further in the season. Guessing based on what data I have, this episode aired when it did only because of when Jane Seymour was availiable for filming.
It is pretty clear from production numbers and such that Gun on Ice Planet Zero was supposed to happen between SoaSW and LPotG. Also, that these three scripts were done before the change in format from a series of TV movies to a regular 1-hour series was made, so a few of the early 1-hour scripts may be best placed before LPotG, either before or after GoIPZ.

For instance, The Long Patrol, with it's lost Colonial Prison, should be before LPotG.

Some of Adama's dialogue in one of the several versions of LPothG makes it clear that the Colonists destroyed their technology after leaving Kobol, and rebuilt the ability for spacetravel, etc over millenia. So, any Colonial Outpost should be closer to the Colonies that Kobol, which they did not know the location of (only vague directions).

Now, to reply to your points:
I agree that it makes a more modern and plausable rewrite that the disease doesn't get everybody, just a lot of them, and that the shuttle pilots should include some males. They can still be mostly female, since .... well, most nations do try to stick women with non-combat jobs, and for very practical reasons. 1 man and 50 women can make the same number of babies as 50 men and 50 women, so your population will grow/recover based on the number of surviving women. This creates an urge to put the women somewhere safe.
But that's a tale for another day.

Quote:
But in this context, plotting out Baltar's character development over the course of the season requires asking whether in Baltar's own mind, the offer was genuine or not, and I think on that basis I would say yes, though it's not for reasons of remorse but for looking out for himself at this point. At this stage he has to be more angry with the Cylons for doublecrossing him, and his first instinct would be to try and do something aimed at getting back at them first.
And I have to say "no", for much the same reason.
Baltar does not believe the Galactica can possably destroy the cylons, and is not interesed in suicidal vengeance.
However, if he can get the Galactica to attack Cylon forces, this will prove that they rebuffed the offer of peace he was supposed to be taking to them. This will make him useful to the Cylons in the capacity of Human Hunter, giving him a comfortable life.
With Baltar, it's all about "Is this good for me?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST
I'm a little confused about something.
I first noticed that when I was eight, and it does deserve fixing.

However,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
"I've already had scanning and an advance probe during the night confirm it. Once we attend to our business here on Kobol, leaving the void will be a simple matter of going out the way the Kobollians left it, and not going back out the way we came in. And the star will still be in full view by the time we leave it.
If their goal is to find Earth, it makes absolutely no sense for the Galactica to plan to retrace the path from Kobol to the Colonies.

I agree entirely with the notion that they did not enter the Void where the original Colonists left it, but .....

It appears that the Colonies were in fact in a Star Cluster, a group of solar systems very close together (close enough, often, that planet's orbits would intersect), and that near the center of this was the Nova they passed through going to Carrilon.
That Nova would be a very bright star, I think.
So, have Adama point out that a direct line from Kobol to the Nova would pass through a thinner part of the Void, or better still, that the Nova would have been brighter six thousand Yahren ago, and they would have been able to see it much farther into the Void.
SpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote