TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Lang has updated his Galactica Book

... and my reply.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1TW5OH...x1D663WFUS29X1

Quote:
Well, Mr. Fullen, I certainly don't have your time or concern to engage in the back and forth spat you've had with other reviewers of your book but since 95% of your efforts are misdirected fire, I believe my economy of words will suffice.

Firstly, the handle "Skippy Costello" has been clearly marked as Mr. Andrew Fullen, author of this book. I have no issues with you responding to critiques but do think you should identify yourself as the author in fairness to anyone thinking of buying it.

To answer some of the many points in which you are in error.

1. I am not a Universal Studios employee, nor have I ever been connected with them in any manner. In interest of full disclosure, I have gone to their theme parks four times in the past 30 years, once in California and three times in Florida.

2. Like so many thnigs, you've totally misread my statement and it caused you to write a long and entirely inaccurate rant. I am a HUGE fan of the original Battlestar Galactica series. I always have been. I am not a fan of the Ron Moore/David Eick version, the series you continually accuse me of trying to promote. Your concept that I felt some need to push a series I didn't even like is confusing (and I'm being polite here).

3. I don't mind being called out on my statements. It happens all the time. I only ask that they be defined accurately, which is a courtesy you've never afforded me.

4. I have not bought your book but I have read the chapter you wrote about me (Chapter 19) in its entirety. Its available online. I restricted my comments to my own experiences with you and Chapter 19, which are the areas I have personal expertise and to which I've read. The only overall comment I made is that knowing how hateful and inaccurate you've been in the subjects of which I have personal experience, I can't imagine that the rest is any more valid. I think in most people's eyes, that makes the review legitimate, especially since Chapter 19 is all about me. Also, in the name of legitimacy, its customary for an author who writes about any personality to contact that person to ensure the substance is accurate. Had you done so in my case, I could have saved you a lot of embarassment. Our relationship has not been good but I have never lied to you or attempted to decieve you in any way. I would have confirmed truthful things about myself, even if they were unflattering. That's just the sort of person I am.

5. I do not now nor have I ever had personal friendships with Glen A. Larson, Bonnie Hammer, or David Eick. I have exchanged e-mails and talked on the phone with writer Ronald D. Moore and liked him at first. In truth, I hold no ill-will towards him but don't regard him with any special favor either. I do have what I consider to be some very good friends working at The SyFy Channel. None of them are part of Bonnie Hammer's staff, nor were they ever in a position to engage in some covert conspiracy as you claim is underway. I certain would never have participated in such an effort had I been asked to do so.

6. I have also never been "neck deep" in any corporate-related attack on any television series, much less the original Battlestar Galactica. If such a "food trail" does indeed lead to me, you seem to be the only person in the universe who sees it. Nor did I at any point "turn against" the original Battlestar Galactica series. If anything, my friction with elements in the fanbase were primarily based on the lack of respect and in cases like yours, outright hatred that was displayed towards people simply because they liked or disliked a television series. That's a method of thinking I've never understood and one I simply can't support, no matter whom its directed against.

7. I still refer to Ron Moore's series as "GINO" (Galactica in Name Only). I doubt that will ever change. In this, you and I are in close if not total agreement.

8. I have never claimed to have "encyclopedic knowledge" of any television series. However, I do have a strong knowledge of both it and your history, which again gives me authority to make a legitimate review of your work.

9. Tombs of Kobol is not Cylon.org. It is its own entity and I am in no way associated with it. They are preserving some material from Cylon.org but I have zero input into how that site is run.

10. You were banned from Cylon.org for (1) Intentionally lying in your posts, (2) being more of a problem than you were worth and (3) flippantly ignoring all attempts of the moderators to work with you so you could be a postive influence in that community. In fact, I can attest you got special treatment and I personally took action to ensure that you were given every chance to show you might be an asset to that site. My efforts were unrewarded, especially since your thanks for my work on your behalf was Chapter 19 of your book.

11. I compliment you on your expanded sales. If you are indeed "making a killing" then I hope you spend the money on something productive and positive rather than using it to empower more of the conduct the Galactica fanbase has seen from you over the years. Its no secret that I believe you are in serious need of professional mental counseling and I don't make such a statement as a matter of insult or hyperbole. If the money from these sales makes such a thing possible, I highly encourage you to seek such help as I think that your life will be far better for it, especially when you stop seeing neutral elements in your life as hostile and potential friends, as I and others you have attacked in these books could have been and tried to be, as positives.

12. My fiancee and I are doing just fine. She hasn't left me and there's no indication that she wants to but we thank you for your concern.

It may surprise you to know that I harbor no ill-will towards you, Mr. Fullen, nor am I advising anyone not to buy your book. I am advising them to be aware of what they are buying when they purchase it as you've misrepresented what your book is about. Its a hateful rant against people and organizations you believe are deserving of your hate. At no time have you ever proven any of your points, which is also unfortunate since you and I also agree in three areas.

Firstly, I feel its well-proven that Universal Studios and the Sci-Fi Channel (Now SyFY) did engage in stealth marketing techniques similar to what you're suggesting. In fact, I know credible people who have claimed to have participated in such things. My own observations also concur with these claims. However, nothing in your book proves this in any manner and those you accuse of being part of this effort are people whom I believe weren't even aware of it, much less participants. I know I never took place in such an effort.

Secondly, Universal Studios' attitude towards the original Battlestar Galactica series has been nothing short of abusive. Their press releases, public statements, and behind the scenes interactions seem to support that as well. Again, your book misses this mark in that it focuses your anger and agression rather than making any attempt to reasonably document this situation. I think its fair to illustrate that anyone looking for such information in your book would be left holding an empty bag. They certainly aren't going to get anything truthful or useful out of Chapter 19. I can say that with absolute authority since I know whom my friends are and aren't and what I did and did not do over the past 10 years.

Thirdly, the original Battlestar Galactica series should have been given better treatment and a proper revival. That didn't happen and its not likely to ever do so in the manner that you and I would like to see. We differ in that you have devoted a large portion of your life in extracting what you view as some sort of revenge for life playing out differently than you'd hoped. I recognize the things I don't like and figure if there are some positives to come out of the situation. With GINO, I don't see any as in my opinion, the series was horrid from the onset and only got worse in terms of writing in storyline. For me, that says its time to let it go and fade into the past. You want to keep engaging in battles that are long over and whose outcome no longer matter.

I will close by saying that I wish you the very best. You know my suggestions for you and although they may seem hurtful, I truly feel they would lead you to a better path. I also feel I have some authority in this area as over the years, I can confidently say I have treated you with far more dignity and respect than you have ever afforded me. Perhaps one day you'll change your outlook on life and will write a book that I would like to read. If so, then my review will have the "buy" marker next to it.

Hopefully this exchange will aide others in decided whether or not they should buy your book and what they hope to get out of it.

Russell Sanders
The Hero of Chapter 19

Russell