View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:37 AM   #3
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: JJ Adams "Star Trek", Success or Failure?

I would say that financially, critically, and publicly the new Star Trek is indeed a success.

It sickens me to no end though, when those blow-hard purists out there accuse JJ Abrams of "dumbing down" the movie to attract the "average movie goer". I saw nothing "dumbed down" about the film. It was a good re-origin story that respected the original mythos, yet created one of its own....and it ticks the purists off to no end that THIS particular Trek has financially outstripped every other Trek film before it.

The characters were funny, noble, and strong. Many of the actors have endeared fans with their new takes on the characters.

Ugh....rant over. My apologies.

Back to the subject at hand: The new film's effect on the mythos.

It's had no effect on the original mythos. The original tales remain intact.

A new mythos has been created to allow the telling of fresh stories...ones that leave doubts in the minds of long time fans when it comes to potential fates for characters and the Enterprise. Will such and such character actually survive? Will the Enterprise prevail?

It's kinda hard to do if this Star Trek were slaved to the canon of the original series.

I think you may have brought up some of the above points, Damocles....so I won't pass them off as notions I just came up with.

Respectfully,
Martok2112