View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:30 AM   #17
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunstar Aries
Hi Lara,

I'll try to keep this short.

I might have to give Lee a try here. I like Howard's stuff. "Low Fantasy" and all that. Even have a copy of his short "the Grey God Passes," which is illustrated by one of my favorite comic writers/artists, Watler Simonson.

Some of the newer stuff based on his, like L Sprauge de Camp and Lynn Carter or Robert Jordan's is enjoyable. Karl Wagner's "Conan and the Road of the Kings" is one I could read at the drop of a hat.

LoTR was favorite of a good (now sadly departed) friend, so I'm trying to pull myself back into the trilogy. High Fantasy was never tops on my list, but I'm gaining a new respect for what "Perfesser T." when he did it. I've gained a whole new persepective thanks to a news interview with a Tolkien historian/expert.

I've a friend trying to get me into David Eddings, and another trying to get me into George R. R. Martin. Haven't delved too deep yet, so I can't let you know. Life keep interfering with my other plans...

I like Burrough's John Carter stuff. Always thought it more on the Fantasy side than Sci-Fi.

I'm not a Terry Brooks fan. Sword of Shanara was just TOOOOOO much of a Tolkien ripoff. But at least he didn't call it "LoTR Re-Imagined!!"

Sorry to hear your adult beverage product in the US never took off. I'd've like a try of that. But adult beverages are off my menu for now, anyway...

Regards,

G A
My husband reads Eddings & Brooks and has the same opinion of it! But he likes Tolkein so I guess its OK. Saw an article once where Brooks admitted it was a publishers requirement that it was written in a Tolkeinesque vein, so I guess he hit the mark!

So you like 'low' fantasy, well I'll admit to reading the Gor books, and the female equivalent "the Warrior Within" and 'the warrior in Chains' by Sharon Green!!
And Red Sonja was on Cable yesterday and I love that movie. The Italians know how to design a fantasy set/ costumes, and I can look at Arnie as Conan and be happy (As I'm sure the guys can for Sandhal Bergmand and Brgiette Neilsen)
Sometimes that stuff is just what's required!

Cheers
Lara
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote