View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #12
KJW
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Um, KJW... your first post was a quote of Richard's from somewhere, right? It reads rather confusingly, lol.
CA 03: You seem to have stepped away from Galactica in the past couple of years. Are you losing interest in it?

Richard Hatch: Not at all. In fact I've spent more time, energy and money in the past year helping to promote Galacticon 2003 and the reunion than in years past. I also did about a thousand interviews about Galactica and the new show in addition to writing my sixth BG novel "Destiny". I truly love the Battlestar story. I always have. There's something magical about that story -- something powerful.

The problem is that, in a lot of ways, many of the major players don't want me around. I understand that perfectly. It’s not a personal thing. It’s just the way things work in this industry. I represent a competing interest for a lot of people and they are trying to get the fans to listen to them and fall in love with their vision. I understand it all, though. There are obviously many viable ways to bring back Battlestar and mine is only one of them. I honor everyone's vision. I just had to come to realize that my ideas, which are essentially following what the vast majority of the fans I've met around the country communicated to me they wanted most, aren't the direction that Universal or the Sci-fi channel wanted to follow, at least not at the moment. In the future, who knows, but I've had to make some personal and painful decisions along the way to begin moving in a direction where I could control my own destiny.

I've started my own company, MerlinQuest Entertainment Inc, and we're doing some very exciting things. You have to remember that you'll never get noticed unless you do your own thing. As much as I love it, Galactica doesn't belong to me so I've had to shift a lot of my focus towards my company's new Sci-fi series "The Great War of Magellan", something that I own and can influence from my own heart and soul. Having to pull away from Galactica however wasn't an easy thing for me to do. It's especially hard because I also had to abandon for the time being my dream of bringing this show back in a way that honors both the fans and the original epic story.

It may seem like I'm stepping back at the moment, and yes I'm less vocal these days, but I will always be there for the fans and for this story I will never stop loving or believing in. I just feel that the best way for me to ever have an opportunity to be involved in Battlestar again is to be successful doing my own thing. That's when the studios take notice. As far as I'm concerned this wonderful Battlestar Galactica story belongs to the original creator, Glen Larson, and the fans that have loved and believed in this show for over 25 years.

http://www.colonialfleets.com/data/h...w-2003-nov.htm
http://www.cylon.org/bsg/bsg-hatch-01.html

Last edited by KJW; February 10th, 2004 at 02:48 PM..
KJW is offline   Reply With Quote