View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:49 AM   #15
KageRyu
Shuttle Pilot

Default Re: 16: Take The Celestra

I was never particularly fond of this episode for so many reasosn. Many of them are vague feelings or impressions that I cannot clearly detail. I always felt that this episode was A) poorly written and executed, and B) lacked the production values of many of the other episodes of BSG. It seemed very low budget to me, to the point where many of the motion-matte sequences were sub-par when compared ot other episode of the series. Every time I see this episode I can't shake the feeling that, by this time in the series, they knew it was a lost cause and had given up. Maybe it is just me...but as I said there is evidence on the screen to me to support this (though vague and hard to explain in detail). Kronus, for example, is a really poor adaptation of Captain Bligh, and this whole episode to me comes off as a very amature retelling of Mutiny on the Bounty. I do see some others with similar concerns in this thread, which reassures me slightly, but I feel this was an episode that perhaps should have been left on the cutting room floor. I feel saving requires completely rewriting it and re-envisioning not only this episode, but significant other details of the series. I can pass off the details of Starbuck's and Aurora's little trist (he never checked because he's a "woman in every port" kinda guy, and frankly she didn't mean that much to him), which seems to be on of the sticking points for others in this thread. I can not accept Kronus' absolute insubordination, not only toward Colonnel Ty, but too Adama. I feel one of them should have had a snappy comeback regarding the whole bit about him once being the commander of a Battlestar, like:
"The Celestra is not a Battlestar." or
"The Galactica is the only Battlestar, and Adama is it's captain."
Just a very dissapointing episode for me.
KageRyu is offline   Reply With Quote