Thread: Bsg A10
View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2002, 08:12 AM   #12

PS:

Before somebody jumps on me and starts screaming, "Isn't Anubis the God of War? Isn't Anubis supposed to be the Jackal? Isn't that what they keep telling us on Stagate SG-1?" ... Let me tell you that four years of comparative religion studies in college (focusing on just about every religion of the Middle East starting from Ancient Egypt to Modern Islam) have taught me that not everything we learn about Egypt through SG-1 is entirely accurate.

Ophois, or Wepwawet, pre-dates Anubis by at least several hundred years (if not at least 1,000 years according to some historians). It wasn't until the pharohs and other people in positions of power began pushing for the consolidation of the various gods that Wepwawet was combined with Anubis (originally only the God of the Dead).

Again, picking Ophois over Anubis was merely a consideration of which was older ... since the arrival of the Colonials on Earth would have to predate the combining of Ophois and Anubis.

More worthless fun facts for those of you who only have a passing interest in Egyptian mythology.

:p