View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #15
BRG
Warrior

WTF? ***

I enjoyed this one. 3 out of 5.

I can't really add much to what has already been said. It was good to get more background on Starbuck, and it added a wee bit of tention between him & Cassie. Also, I really liked the fact that Adama is not aware of the coditions on all the fleets ships. It was touched on early in the series with some high fliers living in luxury on the Rising Star while others lived like animals in old freighters eating scraps. This time we have a crew treating the people on there ships like slaves, forcing them to mutiny. Naturaly these people think Adama and all his warriors are corrupt. This helps reinforce the dificulty faced by those in power, not only do the have to protect the fleet from Cylon attack, but incedents like this could tear the population apart if it is not delt with swiftly. So yes, a pretty deep episode indeed!

Kronus was an interesting character. At first he come across as an unsympathetic character. He's an old school military man who obviously thinks he is a supirior Commander than Adama. And he treats everybody on his ships as he would a trained Warrior, even civillians unsuited to military life. But once we get to know him, he's not so bad. And once he realises that Charka has been abusing his position, and it happened under his command, he becomes a strong leader in setting things right. And he got his hero's death at the end, with full military send off.
BTW, I'm no expert in American history, but the way Kronus is dismissive of Adama as his "former aide" reminded me of a documentary I watched on General MacArthur. He also used the same tone in describing his "former aide" General Eisenhower. Coincidence?
BRG

PS- a wee trivia note for Star Trek fans. Paul Fix, who played Commander Kronus in this episode, was almost the ships doctor! In the second pilot, 'Where No Man Has gone before', Fix played Dr Piper. The series was picked up, but Piper was droped from the crew and replaced by Dr 'Bones' McCoy, played of corse by DeForest Kelly. But it just shows you what might have been.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote