View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM   #64
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasbombadil
One thing I did like, though, was the clear preaching of military preparedness. It wasn't very subtle at all--it was obvious to any observant child that the "peaceniks" were stupid, while the truly wise men like Adama did not love violence but knew that sometimes it had to be used. And in case anybody missed that lesson with the destruction of the Colonial home worlds, they reviewed the lesson when the new Council, ignoring the lesson they should have just learned, chose to lay down their arms to show their peaceful intent at Carillon. Again, only Adama's stubborn insistence on military preparedness saved the day. Since I happen to agree with Adama's philosophy, I liked the direction the show was headed.
The theme of the failure of democracy and the stupidity or manipulability of politicians is a major overall theme of both Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars. It is my understanding that both Lucas and Larson are skeptics on the long term viabilty of our form of democracy. Both shows were to some extent a warning to the public on where the writers thought the U.S. was/is going.