View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM   #1
Jerry Vasilatos
Shuttle Pilot

Lightbulb Galacticon DVD Sound Problems Message from the Producer

Dear Fans-

I've been notified that a few of you are having a problem with your Galacticon DVD audio. Unfortunately, the fact is that not all DVDs are compatible with every system, there is a small ratio of incompatability depending on the brand, and I don't know why this is, but it's happened to me on one or two occasions with discs I have purchased, something playing fine on my regular DVD player but not on my DVD/Laserdisc player. I would recommend playing your DVD on someone else's player to test if it is defective or there is a compatabiltiy issue. If it works on another player then it is not the disc and it is an incompatability issue. The audio was encoded in AC3 format, not PCM using DVD Studio Pro (which I authored the project on.) I think Michelle has shipped around 150 and has been contacted by 4 people who have had problems with their discs.

My only suggestions are:

1. If it is incompatible with your player and you do not have another DVD player, return it for a refund.

2. If it does not work on other players you test it on, then the DVD is defective and we can replace it and it should work fine.

Tests have shown that the inability to play a DVD-R on all DVD players is related to format issues, the brand of the recordable media, and the make and model of the DVD player.

There is an excellent article entitled "DVD Compatibility Test" by Ralph LaBarge in the July 2002 issue of DV Magazine. (http://www.dv.com ). The author has done extensive testing to compare compatibility issues for DVD recordable media and their formats (DVD-R Authoring, DVD-R General, DVD-RW, DVD+RW). DVD-Video players were also tested.

Name-brand recordable media were more compatible than off-brand.

About 90 percent of all DVD players tested showed some form of incompatibility.

DVD players manufactured since 2001 exhibited the fewest compatibility issues.

Hope this helps.

JV
Jerry Vasilatos is offline   Reply With Quote