View Single Post
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:30 PM   #42
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Boy, we're really excavating some old threads aren't we?

The subject that started this thread was the Rob Liefeld Max Press comic book, and frankly speaking, the initial issues of that series are in all likelihood the *Best* original Galactica stories that have emerged from a formally published entity (when one has comics, the Hatch novels and GINO as the collective body which there is to judge) in the years since the show was cancelled. Despite some not very stellar reimaginings in the artistic designs (like Starbuck, Baltar and Cain with the long hair and ponytails), you could tell that Liefeld for the most part had a basic familiarity with the episodes and a number of nuances. I really enjoyed what he did with Apollo-Sheba and he was laying the foundation for an interesting premise that raised questions of what had happened to Earth if they arrived to a prehistoric planet but had picked up the Apollo XI transmission.

Then alas, things went afield starting with Hatch's story, and then the wheels fell off with the dreadful "Journey's End" which in effect thumbed its nose at the entire Galactica mythos by deciding to tinker with how things were established through a time travel cliche. The real problem was that after starting with an epic story, Max Press needed to slow down and have a few low key stories to let other plotlines develop, but it seemed like every new story had to be a higher stakes kind of thing, and by the time we get to Journey's End let's throw the whole kitchen sink in.

I really never had a chance to judge Realm Press's comics much. They were I'm sure a cut above Marvel's (which always have the stigma of not having key episodes in Galactica history incorporated into its universe with LL and WOTG), but Max Press I think at the beginning, did offer a rare moment of something to feel good about.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote