Old April 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #24
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I don't think you necessarily have to have 80 episodes to be considered a series.
Take a look at TOS BSG. It had many, many reruns.
We still talk about it 30 years later. To me that's a success.
I also consider Alien Nation a series.
And let's not forget...VHS and DVD's.
Athene -

That's actually a very good point - in terms of syndication, it is best to have at least 3 seasons worth of episodes for the series to perform in reruns, but when you look at a lot of classic SciFi, there's more than a couple that were only around for one or two seasons. I think that it's great that those shows made it into syndication, because if they weren't, people would have forgotten about them completely until they found their way to DVD.

"Success" is a very subjective term - when the studios use it, it's about how profitable or how long the series ran. The longer, the better, therefore they were making more money. To me, success is about how memorable a show or film is and how it's remembered years or even decades later. Since I don't make money from the show, that's all I can measure it by.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote