Old April 4th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
First Mercy Point:

http://www.geocities.com/area51/dime.../tv_mercy.html

Own comment. At first glance, you'd think it would be a winner, but how many medical drama stories can you do on a space station?

You need a cadre of writers who can pump out at least eighty stories to make a viable series. The writing talent pool wasn't there. The interest wasn't there either.

Concept fail. A one shot movie yes. TV series no.
From where I sit ER was a piece of festering fecal matter. I never watched it. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I find medical dramas to be rephrenensibly cliched drivel that offer nothing new, innovative, informative, or entertaining. Seen one? You've seen them all.

Yet, you know what, I tuned in to MERCY POINT.

Why?

Curiosity.

Why?

Because it was a sci-fi series, with aliens, set in space, aboard a space ship, with decent VFX cut scenes for the time, about a medical team, dealing with aliens, in space and THAT made it out of the oridinary from the SAME OLD SAME OLD SAME OLD medical show garbage that's been recycled for the last 50 some odd years.

Would I have watched more than the episode I caught?

I'll never know since whatever channel it was didn't give it a solid time slot and it disappeared from the dial without ever getting a change to find an audience and make it care for it. Though even I will admit that this novelty would have worn thin after a while without a larger universe to care about.
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote