View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #26
Antelope

Great thread Eric!

Some of my thoughts on what you originally brought up:

On the other Battlestar Commanders: We hear in SSW that vipers from other Battlestars made their way to the Galactica. I assume the other Commanders launched all the vipers they could and fought as well as they could. Adama took it upon himself to leave the battle without receiving explicit orders to do so. We do not know who was in charge of the fleet or if all command and control broke down. The remaining Battlestars may have simply fought on under orders or fought on in place assuming that fleeing on their own was either a stupid move or a sign of cowardice. Starbuck's comments to Athena upon return to the Galactica does imply that the actions of Adama may have been considered cowardly by those still involved in the battle. It is also possible that the Battlestars not immediately destroyed fled in other directions and were either destroyed as the fled or are availble for a Pegasus style reappearance.

On Serina: Since she or Boxey never talk much about Boxey's Dad and Serina did not seem to be mourning his loss I always assumed that Serina was either divorced or a single mother. If you don't make that assumption than you are left with Larson's writing of her character in SSW as simply weak and shallow which is also a possibility as many of the characters are shallow in SSW particularly in the Carillon part of the episode.

Baltar getting off the Atlantia is a weakness in SSW that we all pretty much ignore. It is very hard to believe he 1) got off the ship, 2) his colonial shuttle if he got off the ship wasn't shot down, and 3) his shuttle was able to get him to his home planet or to a rendevous with the cylons. Poor writing. If redone they needed a scene prior to the attack where Baltar's shuttle heads home.

Aurora: I forgot about some of the dialogue with her in reference to the initial cylon attack in SSW. That is simply poor dialogue that should have been deleted from Take the Celestra. I assumed she was a former girlfriend and one of many the skirt chasing Starbuck had before his apparant semi-serious relationship with Athena started.

We learn in LL and other episodes that the colonials were losing the war prior to SSW. Although for reasons unknown to me some fans want to believe otherwise despite the abundant evidence in various TOS episodes. We did not know this as a viewer during SSW however. As such the actions of the colonials and President Adar make much more sense and the words of Adama, a lot less wise, as those of someone who refuses to face reality in the eyes of those who see "peace" as the only way out of the predicament they are in. I like Eric's proposed added dialogue to explain this.

In general I think most of the issues with SSW in reference to later episodes especially are the result of Larson having little idea what he wanted to do long term with the series. Often it is written how scripts were rushed. I wonder if Larson even had a thought in his head about Aurora three weeks before they started shooting "Take the Celestra". The Galactica mythos was as much made on the fly as it is planned. Battlestar Galactica has its share of plot holes and continuity errors.