View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM   #345
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Bashing on the other show is useless especially at this point. It is far too easy a trap to fall into for me sometimes due to how their fans have displayed themselves. I think its great that we have a system of "non bashing" though I would say they have no such ethical policy in place on their boards or in their public appearances. I do think it sets us above the muck when we take the high ground.

As far as reboots go I don't think they have to be a bad thing at all. The Star Trek movies were a reboot. They changed the ship, the uniforms, updated the look of the effects...rough start but ended up a great success!

I love to use the Halloween movies as an example because it started the same year as Battlestar and everything that is being said "Can't be done" by just about anyone these days regarding movies...they have done. In some cases twice. That franchise has "rebooted" twice in the last ten years successfully and three times since 1978. I don't care for every decision that those filmmakers have made, but I liked some of them. "H20" was a reboot that took things back to the original and continued it twenty years later after some very different decisions stylistically were made in the other sequels. It was a hit. Much more so than their later "reimagining" even.

It can be done. There is no logical difference. One can say that Sci Fi has a built in audience just as much as horror. With the right promotional push people will come to see a Battlestar continutation who may not even know of the original. They'll see it just because it looks cool.

Serenity made its money back even though it was just by a hair in the theatres. Since then it has made quite a little profit warranting two DVD releases and an early Blueray release. A heck of a lot more people across a number of generations are peripherally aware of something called "Battlestar Galactica" than were of "Firefly" when "Serenity" came out.

I know we have no idea if he is involved with this at all, but Tom DeSanto can convince them of this. I have ZERO doubt about it. He did it once and I'm sure that he can do it again. He's had a few home runs since then. Anyone who can say "I want to make a live action Transformers movie" and someone says "okay" can get Battlestar back on a screen with the right approach.
I 100% agree with what you're saying.
I'm pleased to be a part of this TERRIFIC site where everyone is very respectful and takes time to listen to people's ideas and opinions and discuss them in a mature and friendly manner.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote