View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #16
une
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Well, are you saying that to have a successful film it needs to be a "box office hit"??? In this you couldn't be more wrong even if you wanted to. Right now I can think of at least 10 films from the last 5 years which are totally awsome but also were not "box office hits". Money has NEVER been a way to measure how successful a film is.
First off, money is the only way to measure how successful a film is. Anyway, a good film doesn't have to make money. Lot's of great films have done bad at the box office. The thing with nemesis though, is that it not only failed at the box office, but it also failed critically. Generally, when a film fails on both of those levels, financially and critically, there seems to be a general agreement among both the general populace and the educated art critics that, "this movie sucks."

Quote:
One good example is the film "The Right Stuff" which was a BIG BOX OFFICE FAILURE in 1983. Nobody went to see that jewel of a movie, why?, who knows! And it didn't even come close to making what it cost to produce. In your way of thinking The Right Stuff was a failure too probably, a bad movie, and who knows what else.
It was a box office failure, no doubt about it. That doesn't mean it was a bad movie. But it did fail financially

Quote:
Hmm, you sound like somebody who hasn't watch a single episode of Enterprise... just read about it in a web page; lol, about ratings probably.
I've seen quite a few episodes of Enterprise, more than enough to understand why it's failing at least.

Quote:
No offense, its just that if the ratings are low now its because all the viewers in the US are turning the channel to see something like "Who wants to marry a millionaire", or "Survivor", or "Big Brother", or what ever those reality shows (lol, yeah right) are called now. Even a super "successful" show like CSI drop a few Nielsen points for the mentioned ones.
Ask yourself this, "why are people changing the channel?" Could it be because the show just isn't good?

You can't blame the shows ratings being sliced in half in the second season and then gradually decreasing after that, on reality TV.

Quote:
Again, what people watch or do not watch is no indicator of how good a TV show or movie is. Its not about art either: I don't remember but if memory doesn't fail all the 19th century painters died in poverty, almost the same for musicians... and I am talking about Van Gogh and Lizt to say a few. Haven't we learned something since the last 200 years?
I'm not saying it's an indicator of how good a product is. But it is an indicator of how popular something is. Enterprise isn't a popular show. Most people don't like it.

Now wether are not Enterprise is remembered in the future as a great groundbreaking TV show, , is debateable. But the fact of the matter is the show isn't popular and like I said before, it's difficult to promote products based off something unpopular.

Quote:
In my humble opinion you, as well as Activision are wrong. Both of you can do and think what ever you prefer of course, the same goes for me.

Also if anybody is bringing the Star Trek franchise to the ground, that anybody is the US viewers of the series. In other countries I have read Enterprise is ranked way above other shows that in the US have better ratings.
So it's the American's people's fault that they don't like Enterprise? It couldnt' be because the show's stupid?

Quote:
What a laugh, Attack of the Clowns is a very poor movie... no subject, just a bunch of eye candy special efects in very stupid sequences. Like that one where the Jedi's "go save the day"... the worse planned battle in the history of film making!!! Couldn't they plan it a little more, aren't they wise enough to at least do something more intelligent?

George Lucas is messing up big time with his movies, but if money is what he wants then he is very successful. I can watch the original Star Wars, or Empire Strike Back or Return of the Jedi over and over again... I don't ever get tired of watching those. But each time HBO is passing Attack of the Clowns I change channels; I only watched it twice, once in the Theater and once in the TV.

Nemesis, contrary to Attack of the Clowns, I can watch over and over again... similar to the LOTR movies, aparently they have more context and substance in them.
Let's put away personal opinion and look at things logically.

Box Office:

Nemesis: 90 mil world wide
AOTC: 650+ mil world wide

Analysis: Attack of the clones was better recieved, and better liked, by the general populace.

Critical Reaction:

Nemesis: 54 good reviews out of 133 total reviews*
AOTC: 125 good reviews out of 197 total reviews*

Analysis: AOTC was better recieved by the critics.

Hmm, so let's see, the general populace and the critics both enjoyed AOTC more than Nemesis. So how exactly, beyond personal opinion, is Nemesis better than AOTC?

Quote:
If you don't agree its ok I suppouse, but please in the name of humanity don't tell me you haven't watch any of these like I think you do.
If you find Nemesis an entertaining movie, that's fine. I think 2001: A Space Odyssey is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen, most others think it's boring. But be aware, your opinion is in the minority.

* That's from rottentomatoes.com
HAL: I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a...fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am a HAL 9000 computer. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 1992. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.
Dave Bowman: Yes, I'd like to hear it, HAL. Sing it for me.
HAL: It's called "Daisy."
[sings while slowing down]
HAL: Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two.
une is offline   Reply With Quote