View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #1
JAFO
Bad Email Address

Default My daughter turns 11 tomorrow

Well, as hard as it is for me to believe, my daughter turns 11 tomorrow. And starts her first day of middle school - 6th grade. I'm a full-time single dad and it's just been me and her since she was 2 and a half. I just can't believe she's growing up so fast. She's such a super kid and has been such a joy to have around that I wanted to say a few words, and this was the place I wanted to share.

The past 11 years have been the best in my life, without a doubt. When she was born she was screaming bloody murder! And when I held out my pinky on my right hand she grabbed it with her little left hand and I said, "it's ok, daddy's here," and she stopped crying. Just like that. And from that moment we've been bonded together, tighter than glue. We're best friends, but she knows I'm the parent and she's the child. She helps me with chores around the house and anything I ask of her. We do everything together - I've spent more time in the dance studio than any mother I know. I've been to every parent conference, every school program, and I learned how to paint nails, and when she was 5 I learned how to curl her hair in rollers for her first dance recital.

I have been blessed and extremely lucky to have had the opportunity to do the things that moms all over the world take for granted. Don't get me wrong - I fail every single day at being a dad. I could do so much better, but she never holds my short-comings as a parent against me. She knows I try, and I try really hard, but we both know I can't make up for her not having a mother. And she's ok with that. And the fact that she loves me and is ok with my feeble attempts at being a parent means more to me than anything in this world.

This birthday is a special one, 11 years old, first year of middle school. Allie, you have been the absolute best daughter a man could ever ask for. God blessed me with exactly what I needed when I needed it. I'm so proud of you and all that you've accomplished. You are my best friend, my partner in crime and a wonderful kid. I wish I could explain to you how much you have meant to me for the past 11 years - they've been the best of my life and I've had the time of my life! You are such a good kid and everybody likes you for a reason. You are the best part of me and I'm so proud of you. Happy Birthday sweetheart!
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote