View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM   #20
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Zynn, one thing i'd like to add. Your talent as an artist is really exceptional. That's where ultimately i want this site to focus on, art. We haven't banned anything regarding art. You might say to yourself then why ban the new Galactica? Well some of us still want that family show and there's really nothing out of this world about it. You said you grew up with BG. Well so did i and a ton of others as well that feel BG has not come back with it's core elements in tact. BG had a certain flare to it, a certain epic feeling that i want as a scifi fan to feel again.

To be quite honest with you i find scifi not scifi anymore. Real world events should be left to the nightly news. Constantly pushing real world events into entertainment has not only become consistent in everything but to me and many others it has also become down right boring. The new Galactica is drama with suit and ties, hummers and sub machine guns. It's like watching the nightly news with the events depicted in Iraq. Where is the epic feel, where is the fantasy of being swept away to another universe. As much as some have expressed disdaine over what Lucas did with Star Wars, i feel that if i need to forget the real world for a small amount of time i can watch Star Wars or TOS Galactica and be swept away from all my real life troubles. For just a small amount of time it's a different world.

I guess in the long run it's about what *we* here want to see happen. TOS Galactica is a vastly under developed product. Singer and DeSanto were on the cusp of bringing Galactica back with a bang. There was updated material and more than likely there would have been things we would have not liked as well but the core element would have been intact. Galactica right now in my eyes and other's is the next great franchise. At it's present pace the new series is only drawing a maximum of 2 million viewers. TOS Galactica drew 70 million during it's run. A vastly different product, a vastly different time.

I hope that you can understand our thoughts on this but if you can't i totally understand. Your artwork is superb and i'd like to see more of it.

Don