View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #19
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica - Blood & Chrome

Hi, Don,

As I'd always mentioned before, I accepted the new series as a completely different take on the same entity, and any reservations I'd had about the show before the miniseries in 2003 aired were gone once the miniseries did air.

As for the show's ending: (God I hope these spoil tags work...)
Spoiler
Six and Baltar are conversing in a modern Earth city, 150,000 years after the landing of the Galactica on Earth. Six says: All of this has happened before. Gaius replies: "Yes, but the question is, does it have to happen again." Six says she bets "no", stating that in mathematics and the law of averages, give a complex system long enough time to repeat itself, eventually it may do something surprising.

As for the look of the bridge on the Galactica, and the tech appearance, in some areas, I kinda liken it to Enterprise in the Star Trek mythos. Remember, one of the big problems facing Enterprise's production at the time was "How do we make this technology look older than TOS Trek, and yet keep it from looking hokey, because we have cell phones now that look cooler than the communicators of TOS Trek." I imagine that trying to do retro tech to something that is clearly established in the far-future for any sci-fi show is a tall order to fill, although in new Galactica's case, the timeline is....well...see the spoilers above.

Regarding the look of the bridge, and the ship interiors themselves, my estimation is that if we who saw the show/miniseries remember, Galactica was about to be decommissioned and become a museum ship. She was on her way back to her final resting place, she may likely have had a lot of her gear stripped and stowed elsewhere, maintaining just enough for navigational purposes and other non-combat purposes. If you saw the mini, remember, she was stripped of all ammunition as well, and only seemed to have a couple of squadrons of Vipers on board, largely for the decommissioning ceremony. One of those squadrons was the old Mk II Vipers. When the new Cylon attack came, the Galactica had to make do with what she had, and rearm at Ragnar Anchorage.