View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #121
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas
(Latecomer, I know....)

Didn't somebody address this issue in a fanfic once? The scenario went like this....

Initially, there were male and female Warriors. But by the time the War became a stalemate and stretched into a millenia-long war of attrition, Colonial doctrine(or tradition) dictated that it might be more prudent to keep the women out of the front line assignments(so why have 'em serve in the fleet at all if this is the mindset )like fighter pilot or ground pounder because of their reproductive worth as childbearers(akin to the ancient Spartans and our own past inequalities). I guess the rationale was that the Colonials realized that they were up against an almost inexhaustable supply of machine warriors who could be replaced via automated/industrial means whilst por homo-sapiens were forced to replace their losses the old fashioned way--it was set up as a backdrop to the whole Ravishol/cloning process as an alternative. An interesting way to write around an obviously dated concept in TOS.

"our own past inequalities"..."an obviously dated concept"

As I stated in an earlier ost here, we need to guard against interpretin g everything in BSG through the lens of current thinking and attitudes. We have little data on Colonial mores re the relations between the sexes. We should be careful in making blanket statements.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote