View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #36
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Only one problem: Look at the TOS episode reviews versus the TNS episode reviews. On the TOS reviews there are no TNS fans writing the desparaging reviews.
Has it been said anywhere that a thoughtful review, whether good or bad, could not be done, with respect to TOS episodes?

Quote:
On the TNS episode reviews a large amount of the reviews are the reviews written by people who hate TNS but watch it just to slam it. Look at the threads objectively.
I agree that there is some axe-grinding going on. However, is it incorrect or impermissible for a person to post a "bad" review. There are those who do not think it's "the best sci-fi" in years and do not think that Moore is a creative genius. Is it wrong for those comments to be stifled, in a misguided attempt at keeping peace amongst the two groups?

Quote:
Most TNS fans are also TOS fans. Although it does happen it is rare to find a TNS fan desparing TOS today. When the exchanges do happen they are usually a response to a TOS only fan replying on a TNS subject. Example: GINO sucks, reply: I like it better than TOS (TOS only fan: They are desparing TOS)
Case in point?

Quote:
The response may be an opposing viewpoint but it is not an objective viewpoint. I think if you look at the TOS section you will find either TOS only fans or dual fans like Martok, myself, Rowan, etc. posting. The reverse of that can't be said on TNS threads.
Well, the story could go like this. TOS or TOS/TNS fans post in both areas because they have knowledge of and have something to say about BOTH shows. In a fair amount of cases, you'll find reasoning about particular items which explains that person's preference. If a person takes the time to gain knowledge about the other show, in order to provide a viewpoint which may be either good or bad, is it wrong to silence that viewpoint (if bad) in order to avoid raining on the parade?

Quote:
Good recent example: A TNS thread: How should the series end: One reply: As soon as possible. That may be funny but it says volumes. No one would today post on the Dreams forum on a question about how should TOS end with such a response. If you can't see that, you can't see what's really going on.
Yes, that is a good example. Point well taken.

Quote:
Once upon a time so called minifans may have flamed this issue but ever since I have been here, over a year it definitely is fanned primarily by one side. As a fan of both versions it makes me sad.
Flaming TNS does TOS no favors.

I'll pose one thought for TNS fans - when you read a post about TNS, from a TOS fan, "give it a chance". Try to take that person's POV into account. The person may not intend to be mean-spirited but, their words may paint a different picture. Truly understanding one's counterpart in a conversation can usually keep a civil tone to the conversation and often times yields a successful conclusion to the conversation and some commonality of thought.

I, personally, have decided to watch TNS in order to better communicate about the show with TNS folks. I had the desire to discuss it "real-time" and not rely on other POV's to make up my response. The remarks that I post are going to be real feelings, whether good or bad, not something to "poke you in the eye" about.

BST
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote