View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #55
gmd3d
Major

Default Re: Remastered BattleStar Galatica?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
I don't agree with the presumption that what was the top of the line for its day and a giant leap ahead of the age of "Forbidden Planet" (where's the clamoring to redo that one where the look is more "dated"?) constitutes an "error".

What I saw for the first time was a quality release that restored the episodes to the brilliance they demonstrated in 1978 and were presented "uncut* in contrast to first the beat-up 16mm prints used in syndication repeats throughout the 1980s and then the cleaned-up but hacked versions from the Sci-Fi Channel, loaded with more extra content than any other TV series of the day has gotten on DVD, which says a lot.

I again do not accept that premise. If anything, I believe that Lucas's tinkering with SW is generally more a cover for the fact that he hasn't had one fresh idea as a writer/director since SW.
I believe that this is wrong approach for BSG and its not presumption but a current fact that most movies are been reworked and reinvented.. we have seen the BSG one and it split the fanbase in two.

Classic Star Trek had a face lift (I got them)
Classic Star Wars Had a face lift (I got them)
improved DVD sales: yes you bet they did

Classic Battlestar Galactica
No new effect just enhanced some what .. and disappointing so.
.. not as mush as it would if the Effect where improved and expanded
as it needs. if it was done and done properly I would by a new DVD set no problem.

I would not rework or redo the forbidden planet as it simply does not need it.
it is a product of its time.

BSG series need new effects . up dated effect at the least the reuse of the same effects is tiresome and boring .. and I have watch my DVD set a few time and it what bothers me the most.

In the Movie the Galactica model support beam is seen in some effect.. in the new DVDs too ..and to be honest it destroyed the whole experience of the film.

Lucas is a better sales man than Universal or who ever owns the Classic show. and I disagree that Lucas is short of ideas ..

but I believe that without a refreshing effects for the classic BSG the appeal of the show will wither.

Don´t get me wrong I like the show a lot and as much as Star Trek and Star Wars.

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote