View Single Post
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:22 AM   #41
PingPongBallEye
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjackrandom
It also gives tremendous potential dramatically for a great deal of angst, zeal, guilt, self-realization, and exploration.
I have to agree. Speaking strictly from the standpoint of character development, having, say, Adama-the-unbeliever offers a lot more possibilities than the original's Adama-the-Patriarch. We already know how the latter would deal with proof the 13th Colony is real: see, told ya so. But no one in the new series is going to be more surprised by evidence that those moldy old scrolls might actually be true than Adama. How will he react? Will he have a road-to-Damascus "conversion experience" at some point? Will he try to explain the evidence scientifically? Will he simply discount it as coincidence?

If evidence of Earth's reality comes to light, how will he deal with the inevitable blossoming of reverence aimed at him? Evidence that Earth exists will surely make some of the survivors see him as a righteous believer; of course, he knows he's no such thing. Does he admit that to his new "disciples," or does he keep quiet -- or even encourage them -- in an attempt to build up hope and morale?

How will Apollo deal with having a father, from whom he has been estranged, who many come to view as some kind of prophet? How will the Viper pilots react if they begin to be seen as Adama's holy warriors? How will Adama deal with those who think he's full of it and just manufacturing evidence? He can't just tell them, hey, I was skeptical to begin with, too!

I think that religion and spirituality will become one of the driving themes of the new series. Moore to me just appears to be starting at the bottom, in cynicism and disbelief, and building up to faith, instead of starting with a widespread, established faith. (And note that if he wanted to be anti-religious, that would be a much better place to start from, since all you can do with something that's fully developed is knock it down!)
PingPongBallEye is offline   Reply With Quote