View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #11
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
This is a great topic.

Off of the top of my sleepy head, I am thinking that we never saw basic hand to hand combat. We need to see something physical if for no other reason because warriors would be trained for that. The warriors that we saw seemed almost above it and therefore a little unrealistic to some. However, there was a great heroics in that which helped make the show what it was.

Probably when I am awake I will think of examples that counter my thoughts. However, in my sleepiness, this makes sense.
Absolutely dear lady it makes great sense!

And i'm glad to hear that the ladies of this fandom have a sense of adventure that the original series didn't get a chance to explore that a grand epic Galactica movie continuation possibly could do?!

And yes surely through subplots you could take a gander at the 'Rag Tag' fleet's lives and wonder how they'd cope with Cylon assaults on the fleet from time to time, and possibly dealing with the death's of loved ones during such chaos caused by all the violence and with internal problems like 'crime rings' and different competing factions within the fleet viing for some small amount of control of some sort ("a piece of the action" if you will?)

Both the Marvel BG comics and Richard Hatch's first 2 Galactica novels touched upon these elements somewhat themselves as well.

The original Star Trek that span off into movies managed to introduce new concepts as well didn't they?

New look Klingons, The Bird of Prey, Star Fleet uniforms etc and generally expand on what came before. If everything was basically an extension of what you saw in the television series, the Trek movies wouldn't have spawned 9 other sequels. So yeah this must surely be a topic of debate in th back of movie producers minds and executives and directors when making a movie based on a TV series.

I'd love to put all kinds of influences in a Galactica movie without making it seem like i'm ripping off other movies/TV series concepts. But at the same time make it feasable for a multiude of established ideas to be blended into a movie and make it all original fresh and adaptable. Thats what i was explaining in the first thread before somebody got the wrong idea about it all. That you can have an idea for a scene you'd like to see in a movie, even though the story isn't fully worked out and outlined in your head yet. Kind of like JMS who thought up Babylon 5 in the shower and came sprinting out and had to write it all down on paper! Or like most cartoonists who are told to keep a diary and write down all their ideas once they come into fruition in their heads etc? Its in that, inwhich you should find new storytelling ideas and conceive "action sequences" within a story and take a guess at what you might want to envision in a movie.

KamikazeAthena has hit upon a beautiful notion of the issue of the Colonial Warriors in Battlestar Galactica. And surely the Warrior's angle. Much like the Borellian Nomen could be fleshed out and made to be far more warrior like in all aspects of 'warfare' in the Galactica universe. Rather than being merely 'fancy flyers' of Colonial Vipers as the guy on Caprica once mentioned in the pilot episode of the series.

I'd like to see in a big screen Galactica movie....

1) More of the mythology of the Colonial's ancient history with the Lords Of Kobol, John and the 'SOL'(ships of light)/Count Iblis arcs being explored.

2) More of the mysterious Borellian Nomen and their people's within the fleet. Surely their numbers have grown by now?

3) Space Pirates. Trust me in science fiction they can fit in mostly anywhere o.k. i don't care what anyone says to the contray alot of sci-fi has 'Space Pirates' so why not within Battlestar Galactica and what not 'another' take on them altogther? If they're human or alien, surely it adds more dynamic to other villains popping up than just the Cylons. Space Pirates descended from the "13th Tribe" could be a good subplot to tell in a movie series.

4) Space travel. Not just the A-typical warping through space but 'what if' like the film "Event Horizon" (a great underated film) the Galactica through upgrades from Dr Wilker warped through "dimensional barriers" into other universes? Or was able travel between the atmostsphere's of planets while being chased or evading enemies during a epic space battle etc. Or much like Star Trek Voyager's vessel or the Enterprise - D's saucer section, had to go planet side and crashland on the surface of a planet/planetoid?

Something for a grandure sakes on the big screen/IMAX etc.

5) Action scenes featuring elaborate stunts with the the main/supporting characters of Battlestar Galactica in situations we've never seen them in or have them partake in with new introduced characters to the BG universe on the big screen!

This is something that fandom should and could aspire to do, a "visual screenplay" almost. To truly flesh out a Battlestar Galactica movie, storyboarded with all kinds of ideas and conceptualised theories on how the action scenes could be accomplished and realised. Tom DeSanto inspired us, so why not us for him now? Or better yet get him to get the fans thinking this way.

Certainly would be a first if fans gave their ideas for a Galactica movie to the studio executives with a visual screenplay instead of mere scripts with words showing the enthusiam fans still have for seeing a BG movie being made.

A little far fetched but i'm reaching just to inspire others here though?

More food for thought hopefully.

Heck most of you Galactica CGI artists here can "Pre-Vis" any of our ideas for action scenes in a possible scripted BG movie anyways

So its another way to approaching this thread's ideas in another artistic method if you so choose! KamikazeAthenacan still have her "Colonial Battlion" of Colonial infantry Warriors taking on the Cylons with cannibalised weapons made from the fleet, for tackling Cylons one-on-one with an "Exo-suit of armor" or futuristic Rail-Guns/Gatling-Guns ballistic weapons etc.

Anyways hope you all can share more stuff, as i hope the field is still open for more concepts even DeSanto might want to borrow or be intrigued by.

KJ

P.S. Oh and my cousin's wedding this weekend was incredible if anybody was curious and wanted to know.

My niece's family is now several times larger, and she practically met everybody and was the little star of the show!

The cake was alright but chunky, and the 'Bride's maids' could really dance at the reception after the wedding. I've never taken so many pictures before or been photographed that much before either. got the whole thing on camcoder, so i'll be away making the happy couple a DVD of their special occasion.

Hope to see more discussions on this thread when i check back in o.k. people.

Laters