View Single Post
Old July 9th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #29
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default tdat

It took me a little while with thinking, but I've figured out why TDAT blew me away.
1. The music was as sweeping as when I first saw Apollo 13, my all-time favorite movie.
2. Although there are no identical parallel characters, TDAT's characters' relationships with each other, the fact that some of them sacrificed themselves, there were no superheroes, and even the whole situation with the astronauts were all similar to Deep Impact, which until last week was my favorite disaster movie.
3a. TDAT has come the closest to anything I've ever watched in the past 25 years in creating the emotions I felt when I watched Galactica as it first aired. Again, there are no identical parallel characters, but my empathy with them is the same. My curiosity about what happened to them after the story ended is the same.
3b. TDAT and BG are of course both post-apocalyptic stories.
3c. BG the series received a few rave reviews from sci-fi and regular TV critics when it began in 1978 in America, but for the most part it was panned. TDAT has received a few rave reviews but most critics hated it. Both BG and TDAT have done far better financially outside of the United States than in-country, and are viewed way more positively elsewhere.
3d. Like BG, TDAT is developing a small but loyal set of viewers who are defending it like crazy.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote