View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #15
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Battlestar Galactica 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara
Hi, GA,
Oh yes, I read LOTS of fantasy. Whats your preferences?? It will be interesting to see what we have in common, and see if there are any new leads.
As to my favourite:
I read anything and everything by Tanith Lee. She is the one author I will by books by sight unseen. She writes fantasy, gothic and some soft scifi. Her book Silver Metal Lover has been optioned for film and I await the out come with a mixture of happiness and fear.
Her first books, "the birthgrave trilogy' is still my favourite, Its a Howard-esque fantasy about fallen civilisations and the journey of one woman who is used, adored and finally discovers her true origins. Typically for Lee its a bit convoluted and benefits from several readings.

Her vampire novels were good too, she has rewritten several fariy tales long before HAllmark were retelling them, and she writes a lot of adolescent fantasy, which is a good read without the sex and violence. My fav one of those would be "East of Midnight"

She wrote two scripts for Blakes Seven, and even wrote a book where the main character was entirely based on Paul Darrow, about a ghost hunter (Kill the Dead) had a great twist in it . I would have loved to have seen that filmed, but it just couldn't be done without PD.

My closet brush with fame was we had her signed to our little university sci fi con, (everyone loves the chace for an expenses paid holiday in Australia in the Northern Winter...)when her stuff took off in the USA and she had to cancel to go on tour there instead. She actually phoned personally to apologise, which was nice.

Cheers,
Lara
Hi Lara,

I'll try to keep this short.

I might have to give Lee a try here. I like Howard's stuff. "Low Fantasy" and all that. Even have a copy of his short "the Grey God Passes," which is illustrated by one of my favorite comic writers/artists, Watler Simonson.

Some of the newer stuff based on his, like L Sprauge de Camp and Lynn Carter or Robert Jordan's is enjoyable. Karl Wagner's "Conan and the Road of the Kings" is one I could read at the drop of a hat.

LoTR was favorite of a good (now sadly departed) friend, so I'm trying to pull myself back into the trilogy. High Fantasy was never tops on my list, but I'm gaining a new respect for what "Perfesser T." when he did it. I've gained a whole new persepective thanks to a news interview with a Tolkien historian/expert.

I've a friend trying to get me into David Eddings, and another trying to get me into George R. R. Martin. Haven't delved too deep yet, so I can't let you know. Life keep interfering with my other plans...

I like Burrough's John Carter stuff. Always thought it more on the Fantasy side than Sci-Fi.

I'm not a Terry Brooks fan. Sword of Shanara was just TOOOOOO much of a Tolkien ripoff. But at least he didn't call it "LoTR Re-Imagined!!"

Sorry to hear your adult beverage product in the US never took off. I'd've like a try of that. But adult beverages are off my menu for now, anyway...

Regards,

G A