View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM   #1
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Default Family doesn't always mean blood relative

In my life (and you may have parallels in yours) I've known myself to be part of several families at different points of my life.

Of course the first was my family of birth. Mom, Dad and 1 brother.
2 and 3 were Mom's and Dad's families. Combined they are many, nearly legion in number.

College started to teach me that there were other sorts of families: Ones which choices built, or circumstances required.
dorm mates, roommates, my Christian fellowship group's members. These were bonded together to varying degrees by love or care for each other.

Post college I found "family" at the church I attended, in a small group there. (their small groups were called flocks, pretty funny name but the groups were "family" through thick and thin--bonds made of love and faith.)

I've been in other small groups and support groups and those can be families too. I've also worked in some close-knit office groups: they have their own sense of "family." Not always a functional one, but not without the good moments, or the care.

Then I married and a whole new "family" started, almost. But again, it was one where the bonds of love would prove stronger than those of blood. 4 years into our marriage a young lady and a young man chose us to parent their child. Youth and circumstance catalyzed their need to give that gift; one infertility had denied us. The bonds of love can equal those of blood, if we let them.

I've seen segments of this "fan" group be family too. Checking on those going through tough times. Worrying over each other when things aren't right. Supporting each other. Celebrating when the good comes along.

Thanks for being family.
Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote