View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Re: The Last Battlestar Comments

Steve,

Now that I've read more of it I feel comfortable commenting further. And, yes, it's a interesting read. You've woven the subtext of the original series through the setting put forth in the re-imagined series and managed to do it while not only structuring a coherent plot but fleshing out characters; even characters one might wish you'd left on the proverbial cutting room floor. Where Moore played a shell game with the audience in a blatant effort to confuse and confound them with vacuous and amoral interludes of sex and violence so they would not notice the lack of substance in his soulless raping of a epic story with a rich mythological construct you've actually managed to breath new life into what, to some, has been dismissed as a monstrous abomination and prove that, in the right hands, the material could have been something really interesting.

That said I do wish you'd omitted the Armistice space station as that, IMO, was utterly pointless. It existed only as a VFX cut scene so a original series style shuttle could be shown on screen. However the expansion of the interplay between Adama and Adar was nice and more than made up for the inclusion of the former. And, yes, I even noticed that you gave some thought to minutia, like the inclusion of a new time unit: the decira. (Hope I spelled that right.)

Obviously I've not read all the way through the material as I did not want it to influence my own writing but, I can honestly say, were I not writing a fanfic of my own at the moment I'd have read this through to the end. It really makes one curious to see how events will develop in this new hybrid universe.

Well done.

Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote