View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #8
Omega
Shuttle Pilot

For me, it's this ep and "The Man with Nine Lives" that really set Galactica apart from Star Wars and Trek. I kind of realized it when I was young and the show was first on, and now I understand it more.

To me, where Galactica shines is that they show the fleet as a place where people live normal lives. It comes through in a lot of the episodes, but to me it's most clear here. They may be heroic when they need to be, but they also just kick back like normal people, even Col Tigh. In Star Wars, the characters are supposed to be larger than life, and they come through that way. The original Trek could have had more moments where the crew is just kicking back, and they've moved that way in all the later shows, but they pretty much still come through as heroic personalities even when they aren't being pushed to their limits. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I like Trek too, but as a 8-9 year old I couldn't really imagine what it would be like to be a Rebel or to live on the Enterprise, while I knew exactly what it would be like to live on Galactica.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote