Thread: Warrior Boots
View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Default Warrior Boots

Andy (Clanger) was asking me about the boots I painted up a while back so I figured I'd post some stuff about it here for anyone else who is working on their boots for their uniforms (come on people we need to get a whole slew of us together on this!)

Now first up, let me say this. I know I won't personally be happy until I have a uniform that is as spot on as it can be. This means that though I have painted up some boots and I think they look almost dead on, I am still planning on sending my best pair off to have them painted by Chris (www.kobol.com) so they match the screen used Sidi Full Bores.

That said, this is what I've done. The color debate for the boots has been going on for longer than it should if you ask me. Some people swear they are black, others swear they are brown.

For a long time it seemed like everyone "in the know" stuck with the "medium brown" color for the boots. This just seemed a bit off to me so I did a side by side of the medium brown with some other colors. The ones that struck me as closest to what was on screen was Cordovan.

The dye I used was "Meletonian Nu Life". Cordovan 636
http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/M...ray_p/1003.htm

The Cordovan looks black under certain light, it looks brown in direct light, and has the almost reddish brown look in other lighting. To me that covers all the bases and all the arguments.

Take into consideration that the toe plate is masked in these pictures. I guess they weren't masked during the painting of the screen used boots (same with the cam style buckles on the side), but I dug the look of the silver so I masked 'em.

Cordovan on the Left, Medium Brown on the right.

Now to show the difference of how they look in different lighting...both of these pictures are of the Cordovan colored boots.

Quite the difference!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote