View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #6
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Default I always had to stretch the premise.

It wasn't enough for the SMDM to have a bionic arm, eye, and legs.

Consider;

1. Those thermal isotope batteries that powered him had to be the size of golfballs and he needed shielding.
2. His skeleton had to be totally rebuilt from heels to crown to enable him to carry through the total shock loads he endured when he lept or ran or lifted those impossible weights or tore Sasquatch's arm off.
3. His brain had to be retrained totally to use those bionics. For one thing, reaction time speeds for a human, while fast, are not designed for running at 100 kph. You learn an entire new way of looking and reacting[predictive], when you DRIVE at those speeds. Running? It involves an entire order of magnitude difference as you have to preplan where you set your feet at up to ten times a second.

I always wondered why Rudy didn't take the left arm as well. Symmetry is important in an animal. He would know that. Humans are asymmetric in that they have a strength/fine manipulation side, but the power ratio discrepancy is only about 5%. Anything above that and you start having problems.

As a kid with that sort of imagination, I had to assume that Steve Austin was Wolverined to make him work.

Not Superman, but equally cool.

As always;
Damocles is offline   Reply With Quote