View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #1
bionicbob
Warrior

Superman/Smallville Six Million Dollar Man Rules!

"Steve Austin....astronaut.

A man barely alive....

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology to create the world's first Bionic Man.

He will be Faster.

Stronger.

Better than he was before."

With those words, the GREATEST action/adventure/sci-fi show of the 1970s was born!

I was seven years old the first time I heard those words, and my world forever changed. Lee Majors was like a GOD to me. Each week I thrilled to exciting adventures that before I could only imagine or get in a comic book.

Now years, heck, decades later, I still enjoy the series. I have the entire series on homemade DVD and still watch specific episodes over and over again. While the series was uneven at times (especially in its last season), many of the episodes still hold up and are quite entertaining. And while the series lacks the sophisicated continuity (three different Dr. Wells anyone?) we are used to in todays tv series, it did develop it own loose Bionic Mythology.

Like my other favorite hero SUPERMAN, the Bionic Man developed a family (Bionic Woman, Bionic Dog, Bionic Boy), recurring allies (Bionic Bigfoot, Seven Million Dollar Man) and rogues gallery (the Robot Maker, Fembots, Death Probe).

My favorite episodes are the classic 3 parter KILL OSCAR (the best tv cross over event EVER! between SMDM and BW) and the 2 parter SECRET OF BIGFOOT PASS ( best bionic fight scene EVER!!!!).

Today, people tend to regard SMDM (if they remember it at all, I work with lots of people in their 20s who never heard of the series-- boy do I feel old) as hokey or silly. They forget how HUGE this series was when it was on the airwaves. Mechandice alone was in the millions.... action figures, comics, lunch boxes, pjs, etc. The series ran 5 seasons (unheard of for most sci-fi shows), spawned a spin-off and made Lee Majors a major star of the 70s and 80s!

So I thought I would see if anyone else out there in the forum has any fond memories of this classic, yet under rated series, they would like to share.

What are your favorite bionic moments????????????
bionicbob is offline   Reply With Quote