View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #48
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Blackstar Squadron: Battlestar Galactica costuming group.

When I first saw the post about "grading" the costumes, I kind of winced a bit. Then I saw the discussion turn in a better direction when people realized that with costumes coming from different sources, that it's just not practical to set a benchmark or standard in terms of construction, materials, etc.

As someone pointed out, there are folks that have made their own, others that have bought theirs from a few semi-professional sources and then there are those that have yet to either make or buy theirs. As for costumes that are purchased from someone else that makes them, if they got it from someone that still makes them, by all means, post links to that source and provide pricing info. For those that have already made them, if you have patterns, fabric sources or any other info, also pass those on here to those that would benefit from your experience.

Generally speaking, the uniform pants are a pretty easy deal as they are just a standard pants pattern without any pockets. I notice tailoring seams on original series costumes on the backside to make them fit properly, but that's the only real variance from the original pattern. The shirt pattern for the most part is also pretty standard, it's the front placket with the padding and seams that's the most work, along with the collar. I remember a friend of mine doing quite a bit of measuring and practicing on cheap fabric to come up with a proper fit for the collar as it has a "pie slice" design to it and you want it to look right. The jacket itself is also pretty standard in a basic sense, but with all the "patchwork" pieces and piping in various areas, it's a fair bit of work. I've seen some homemade jackets that look terrific and others that look all droopy and don't fit right.

If I was going to spend money on having something pre-made, it would probably be the jacket. As for the uniform itself, once the patterns are sorted out and the right kind of fabrics have been sources, if you know someone that's willing to make a custom fit uniform if you provide all the materials, that would be the best option. If you have the skills and the time, the satisfaction of making your own can be a lot of fun. In the end, being happy with the result and how it looks and makes you feel is what's most important.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote