View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2019, 01:30 AM   #160
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

In writing any kind of story, be it original or fanfic, we go with what we know. We go with what suits our story the best. If that means sticking with the actors from the past because we knew them well enough (because we wanted to know them), then that's what it takes. It helps facilitate the creative flow.

When I write an original or a fanfic (which I have not done since trying to complete Galactica: The Last Battlestar....both it and Battlestar Galactica: Reciprocity still need to be finished), it is easier to stick with the original actors. With The Last Battlestar, which is a mix of worlds between both the classic and imagined universes, I envision actors/actresses from both shows....and when it comes to the actors/characters from the reimagined show, trust me, they are nothing like they are portrayed in that show...they are much more in line with the original series' spirit. They look exactly like they do from the new show, but their characters are vastly different.

When I write originals, I go strictly with faces, whether they are old actors or new generation actors. The bodies are the shell....if I know the actors well enough, old or new, I will try to write according to what I may know about them...otherwise they are husks awaiting new souls in the form of my story.

Trust me, you're not missing much with much of the new Disney Star Wars, although I would highly recommend Rogue One. Among even those who hate most of the Disney LFL SW films, Rogue One is generally considered a favorite.

Something that really irks a lot of fans about the new Star Wars films is how Disney has restructured its canon. Now, I have never considered the Expanded Universe stories canon, and neither did Lucas, nor Lucasfilm before Papa George sold it to Disney. Certain elements outside of the movies were indeed considered canon....such as the Star Wars Radio Plays (which I love immensely), and a couple of the video games as well...The Force Unleashed, I do believe was granted canon status. When Disney bought LFL, they immediately started claiming Star Wars as absolutely their very own. They relegated the EU stories (comics, novels, reference materials) to "Legends" status, which solidifies their non-canon status. Disney LFL has been known to cherry pick from the Legends/EU stories though.... example: Grand Admiral Thrawn, Captaina Pellaeon, the star destroyer Chimaera, Rukh, the TIE Defender have been given canon status, as Timothy Zahn, the creator of those characters and other elements had been asked to write new stories for them in the Disney canon....and its probably the only stuff that even Disney LFL haters agree is worth reading/watching. (All of the above have also appeared in the canon animated series "Star Wars Rebels").

Disney LFL is engaged in some very insidious marketing when it comes to Star Wars. All the old Marvel and Dark Horse comics and the Expanded Universe novels and comics have been relegated to Legends status, as have The Force Unleashed games. New comics, video games, novels, and shows released under Disney are considered canon. However, what this has done is allowed the writers of the new Star Wars movies (well, the Sequels, anyway) to write very sloppily. Things that are possibly vague, or misunderstood in Eps VII or VIII can suddenly gain clarification if you buy this particular new comic or novel. The ONLY time that a movie's story point should even be clarified in another medium is with a novel tie-in of that film itself.... not in some loosely related side novel or comic. It is a plan that, while insidious, is also proving filled with pitfalls for Disney LFL as their new comics and novels are not selling very well. Disney knows that the fans want the Legacy characters, and direct continuations (or more stories from their heyday as heroes) as relate to them....and not some mysterious rise of an incompetent offshoot of the Empire (The First Order), or the less than compelling good guys like Poe Dameron, Rey, Finn, Rose Tico, etc. Therefore, Disney is now scrambling to try and push more OT/PT material, especially into their Sequel properties.