View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #18
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Like I was telling Michael, I've been at this sort of thing for years now and there's quite a few little tricks to working with this stuff to get better mold results.

How is the canopy mold working? I gave him some advice about how to avoid bubbles in that. Just curious as to how it's coming out. The thing you need to remember is the "flow" of the piece. Imagine that your pattern part is a vessel. Look at it carefully and predict how the resin will fill up that vessel when it is poured. That way you can get an idea of where air bubbles might get trapped when you're casting. It helps you to design the mold to avoid problems like that.

I tell ya, if I had a nickel for every time I helped somebody with a mold, I'd have... welll... a least a couple of bucks by now. I lose count.

But also as I was telling Mike, the reason I'm so free and giving with information is that I HATE MAKING MOLDS. Absolutely despise it. I'll avoid it as heartily as I can. If you catch me making a mold it's because my job requires it or because I have no other choice on a personal project. Its gotta be something SUPER spectacular to get me to do a mold (Right Peter?).

Anyway, I'm glad to see that my instruction is being applied and (even better) is actually working for you!

-Gordon