View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #162
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica Movie News

I agree about RotJ Radio Play. It was only six episodes, so it only had a few minutes of expansion, whereas the first two, A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back had tons more detail added onto them. I think, at the time, Brian Daley was in bad health when he was writing Return of the Jedi. He probably could not focus on expanding it the way he did the first two plays. When that radio drama wrapped up recording, Brian Daley died.

I really appreciated the way Daley wrote the radio version of General Carlist Rieekan, the Echo Base commander in The Empire Strikes Back. I liked Rieekan in the movie, but he was even cooler in the radio play. The way he was written reminded me of some of my former commanders and superior officers when I was in the Army. He rang true to me in the radio play.

Here's a little something for the memory, my friend: If you listened to the first Radio Play back in 1980 ('81?), the announcer called the subtitle title of the Star Wars Radio Play
"The New Hope". Star Wars: The New Hope. In later releases of the Radio Play on cassette and CD, the subtitle was dropped, and it was just called "Star Wars".

I am currently trying to work on a CG animated series of excerpts from the Radio Plays, starting with scenes from Chapter 3 of A New Hope (Black Knight, White Princess, and Pawns) where Leia and Captain Antilles must get the Death Star plans from the Rebels in the Toprawa system. I have a previsualized animatic of how a couple of scenes would play out...now I'm just looking to flesh them out with better model and character builds.