View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #102
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Default Re: BG-01: Saga Of A Star World

Even though fanfic writing has been the key to my staying really involved with Galactica over the years, the one thing that's concerned me is that writing so much about the future of the show's characters could make me appreciate less the filmed stories we were introduced to first or look more easily for flaws. It's always nice to discover that those fears are groundless!

Watched LPOTG tonight. Even though we know all about the rushed nature of how the story was put together which compressed so many major plotlines at once, I was struck by how the storyline still flowed beautifully and took advantage of the two part format to pace itself in a way where your attention was held the entire while. Indeed, this use of the two part episode on so many occasions and the willingness to give a story some more breathing room has to be considered Galactica's greatest contribution to sci-fi TV in general because there was nothing like this before. Star Trek's only two-parter was a one shot deal designed to save costs by recycling the initial pilot. Galactica didn't try to give good scripts short shrift by shoehorning them all into the standard one hour format.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote