View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:12 PM   #135
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

I really hate to be the wet blanket here but I'd like to ask everyone to consider that Universal, Larson, and even Tom DeSanto are going to do whatever is in their own best interests irregardless of what the fans think or want.

If anyone is going to raise any serious money then I beg those gathering the cash to use it in a way that actually produces something worthwhile for the fanbase.

For $10,000 (the arbitarary figure), I'd have made a special edition of the Return of Starbuck with new footage with Dirk, ... or pumped out something else of real worth for the fanbase.

I don't mean this as a slam on the previous efforts as they were commendable jobs but I also ask that folks learn from those experiences. TPTB don't give a rat's ass what fans like us think. Throwing heavy resources at an appreal isn't going to garner any more support from them.

Without diving too deeply in the weeds, I'd personally rather folks get comfortable with the situation as it is now, with GINO and the original series both taking their place in history and Caprica being the show that's presently in the mix.

Failing that, I'd ask that the efforts be placed on something that is mutually beneficial. For example, how far would a combined effort go towards making a good website devoted to the original series. I still haven't seen one done really, really well. How about a few DVDs of combined materials. Jason suggested this a while back and its still a good idea. If the old guard is being reactivated, has anyone considered what John Larocque can bring to the table. I have some pretty prefessional sound recording equipment and Shawn is a very, very good composer. I've heard some of his stuff and the guy has real talent.

I don't think the 14th Colony will ever go anywhere (sorry, but I don't) but the modeling efforts for it have been very impressive. I wouldn't mind seeing a new version of the trailer that came out a few years ago.

Has anyone considered making a series of short audio dramas. I've been playing with "GINO - The Audio Drama" but I find it hard to believe that a group of dedicated fans can't come up with something good.

In essence, the future of Galactica is in the hands of the fans, not the networks. If you're going to pool resources, then do so towards something that will get results.

As I've said, I'm a divorced guy with a boat and as such, I like to see effort going towards something with a payoff. Convincing TPTB or a hostile fan audience that the original series is where its at is a losing battle from the onset. I ask that folks focus on something that will give a reward.

Off my soap box now.

If this sounds insane, then feel free to discount it.

Russell