View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:28 AM   #10
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsg1fan1975
I agree with Kingfish. There would have to be some form of acknowledgement of where the material came from. It is a basic requirement in any writing project!
Except that the novels all say "based on the television series created by Glen A. Larson" which means the legal requirement is fulfilled for the novels to be true continuation stories. Hatch uses characters introduced in episodes like Iblis, Cain etc. so I don't think it's a question of him being legally compelled to "reimagine." I think it's more a case of him and his ghostwriter thinking they don't need to go back and rewatch the episodes to make sure the story fits into what was established, and their gross underestimation of how much the fanbase knows these episodes.

Richard's commentary on the DVD of Saga was revealing in that he basically acknowledged that the theatrical cut of the pilot was just about the only thing he had seen often in the years since, and he was taken aback by all the scenes part of the telecast not part of the theatrical cut (as were Dirk and Herb). While Richard may not have had the time to watch these episodes, his ghostwriter at least should have done so to smooth out the gaping holes in consistency with the Galactica universe we're familiar with. That's why for me the novels are totally unsatisfying reads and no better than the miniseries.
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote