View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #25
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
Does this fanfic show how Adama made Fleet Commander over Cain.
Yes, I've addressed that in some adaptations and other fanfics. If we go by the novelization's point of a seniority system existing based on when you got your commission first, I extrapolated that while Adama and Cain entered the Academy together I created a backstory incident of Cain getting suspended briefly from the Academy for a semester because during a training exercise he impulsively took charge of the group and while he had been right to do so, some by-the-book types demanded he get disciplined for this. So this meant Cain graduated after Adama and that meant that if Adama and Cain were ever of equal rank, Adama would be regarded as senior (obviously if one attains a higher rank than one commissioned earlier, that would trump seniority on that point) and thus Adama would have the right to be Fleet Commander. Of course you also have to add the fact that as President of the Council of Twelve, Adama's civilian title may also have enabled him to trump Cain on this point too.

In another fanfic, which was my story about how Cain met his wife (the revised version of this is posted on the Anne Lockhart message board at http://www.annelockhart.com/site/forum/index.php under the title "Distant Memories"), I established Cain being on the Pegasus as a Lieutenant/Captain, and that the Pegasus commander at the time could have in effect filled the next level of being a mentor/idol for Cain that Odysseus would have been aboard the Cerberus in his earlier career. Naturally there can be room for Cain to have served aboard another ship in the interlude or to put him on another ship altogether before he gets his command, but I was first concerned with establishing that Adama stayed on the Cerberus longer than Cain so he could meet Tigh on that ship, since I didn't think it could be plausible that Tigh would have been part of the same group when Cain would have been there.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote