View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #5
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Not only is he too over the top in the first half of the story but his whole scene with Sarah where she tries to sweet talk him into staying gets my vote for the worst acted moment in the entire series. I took particular pleasure in rewriting the scene by having a more serious Apollo point out that he has a son back aboard the Galactica, and then when he finds out Sarah sabotaged the viper, I just had Apollo lose his temper big time because there wasn't a proper reaction to that (though what does it say about the durability of vipers if the Tic-Tac-Girl can destroy them all by herself???).

Getting rid of Vector and Hector was tempting, but I felt I couldn't go that far. I did though try to have more fun with them, by adding this item after Starbuck and Apollo meet them for the first time.

"I just had a horrible thought go through my head," Starbuck said.
"Yeah?" the black-haired captain glanced at him.
"If Wilker had come with us on this trip, he'd be drawing up plans to copy their circuits to create duplicates for the Fleet."
Apollo contemplated that for an instant and then nodded, "You're right, that *is* a horrible thought."

Another way of having fun with Vector is to have him constantly make remarks about "brains and courage" (Wizard of Oz in-joke). The annoying song-and-dance got shifted to episode's end where it is done by the robots as a way of distracting the Alliance guards so Apollo and Starbuck can take them out.

The Terra Trilogy is IMO more worthy of being known as the "Terrible Terran Trilogy" because it's a story arc that IMO just goes absolutely nowhere and gets doubly cursed by terrible acting, but in a way that makes it a perfect candidate for the whole "New Twists" approach.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote