View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #8
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

I started that other thread on Cylon.org.

My whole point was that calling BG a rip-off of SW is correct only if you acknowledge that Star Wars itself took much from Dune and the works of Akira Kurosawa.

Basically; some common elements from Dune:

-galaxy ruled by a corrupt emperor
-Imperial Stormtroopers/Sardaukar
-desert planet where moisture is precious
-vicious desert people

I believe Frank Herbert found 17 points of comparison and was going to sue George Lucas.

And from what I can tell, the plot of Star Wars is very similar to Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress", especially earlier drafts. I plan to order THF, since I found a site that has the DVD for 6.99, so when I do see it, I'll let you know how it compares.

Star Wars got away with it because the space setting most likely caused Kurosawa enthusists not the notice, and given how with novels, the readers of Dune probably had a vision of something completely different look-wise from Star Wars, they got away with it with Dune fans as well.

But because BG is set in space, with large ships and smaller ships that engage in WWII style dogfights, it got the rap it did.

But of course you all know the differences.

And read "The Power of MYth" by Joseph Campbell. It basically states that humankind has been telling the same stories for thousands of years, so that's also worth noting.
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote