View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #2
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Outside the sharing of John Dykstra and his talent, I would say no. It has been said BSG was conceived before Star Wars; it was the success of the latter that opened the door for the production of the former. Likely every sci-fi film is influenced to some degree by every other. To that extent we can see both productions borrowing from each other and from earlier works. But they exist in two totally distinct universes. And their differences are profound.

BSG introduced something totally unique that no other space film did. Star Wars very vaguely touched upon it, but never truly did it. That was the idea of aircraft carriers in space. In BSG, the battlestar or baseship is nothing without its fighter aircraft. It exists as a platform for them to launch from, just as our carriers do today. This I think is a far more likely scenario than huge craft chasing each other and trying to maneuver. It also solves being able to attack or visit land based targets. X Wing fighters never took off from larger vessels, but rather from planetary bases. True, Tie fighters were carried in small numbers by star destroyers, but never to the degree of a carrier, and the primary weaponry and defense of a star destroyer was always its own lasers. Just look at the beginning of A New Hope. Tie fighters do not chase Leia's ship, the huge star destroyer does.

Star Wars had nothing like the Cylons until Attack of the Clones. Its robots were servants that did slave labor. Only BSG had a robot animal, built purely for companionship. Hoth may have grown from Ice Planet Zero. This of course is conjecture, many suppositions can be made.

Star Wars was an awe inspiring epic for the silver screen. BSG was intended to bring that feeling into our homes. That is the extent of its guilt. The story, the combatants, the vessels, and the mythos are totally distinct. They both are set in outer space, but from there they part ways.

I don't think the real question is whether one ripped off the other, but whether a specific venue of special effects can be licensed and restricted like an intellectual property. 2001 A Space Odyssey stole its tricks from the creator of Thunderbirds. Everybody including comedies and cartoons have copied The Matrix still frame and spin effect. Technology always ultimately reaches everyone. I think Mr. Lucas was just trying to forestall that day a bit to keep his sequels the sole evokers of the exclamation, "Wow!".

Sorry for my rambling.

Last edited by Muffit; November 8th, 2003 at 10:24 PM..
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote