View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2003, 01:39 PM   #1
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Default Where is our show ?

You know it strikes me funny that it was said that no one would remember Battlestar Galactica but they are doing a show with its name.

I just read a piece in the New York Times. Something on some sort of art thing. I'm not sure because quite frankly I skipped through it to see what it had to do with Battlestar Galactica because I'm on a news alert for BSG thanks to dvo47p.

This is the piece that mentioned BSG.
....................................................................................................
By 1917 the introduction of enormous background shapes festooned with miniature clusters creates a disconcerting Battlestar Galactica effect.
....................................................................................................
In the last so many months, I have received 3 other articles that mentioned the Galactica name and it's neat how writers refer to our show to make a point.

Sure Galactica had the Star Wars look (Most sci fi after SW did) but Galactica was a show with many original ideas within an original idea in which next to none are being used in the new production.

The music was a very huge part of BSG. If I could watch the beginning without the music, it would no longer be Battlestar for me.

The Idea of an evil god that mirrored the devil or was he the devil? He corrupted the cylons when they were a race of lizards and the end result was the machines that we seen. This was another original Idea that is being thrown away for an idea that has been done to death. If you’re going to use the Galactica's name, why use other people’s ideas from every other show but Galactica. Sure they are using the skeleton of Galactica but who can get into a show that is a rotting carcass of what Galactica use to be. We know that she had her faults and we wanted that improved but we didn't want every thing changed that made us love this show in the first place.

The helmets were original and it may be somewhat of a small thing but they supported the mythology that Galactica was based around. It wasn't just an Idea of people trying to find earth. They were trying to find earth because things tied in with earth’s history. The Egyptians or the miens. The mystery of it all.
That's what made Galactica a great Idea because it lent to the possibilities of what could be. It tied in with our own ancient history right here on earth.

The new show is choosing to ignore the mythology so it's not even going to try and capitalize on the full story that made Galactica such a wonderful idea. Others think that we may be over the top because of our complaining about such things that may seem unimportant to most but what is to be understood is the fact that Galactica was a combination of many things and if the Sci Fi channel can't even get the biggest parts of Galactica right, then not even achieving the little ones are going to be looked upon as huge misfires too.

Not to mention that a continuation is what most every fan wants. Most of us either wanted it or expected it.

Now we face a show that proves just how mishandled the Galactica franchise really is.

If there is any justice for the fans, Universal will order the new production to be a prequel or another story that took place in the same time line that won't contradict the original.

Then Universal will go after Tom Desanto for a big screen continuation in the same vain as star trek.

Then what would this fan base be like?

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote