View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
Smallworld
Bad Email Address

Thanks guys! This ship kind of came about by accident. I started out with a simpler transport, and this evolved as a bigger version with four engines. I now have a set of modules that cam make up about six different ships. They all have the same nose section, there are two rear sections which use the same engine pod, and three mid section "mission pods". I wish I had this as a toy when I was a kid! Here is the "weapons pod" which turnes the basic hopper into a close support ship. The four weapon bays rotate to expose the weapons before launch, and there are a couple of laser cannons underneath.

Quote:
For me, it sorta resembles the shuttles on Space: Above and Beyond with the rotating engines at the edges of the wings. I like the rear ramp and the gun(?) in the nose very much.

If you don't mind a suggestion and I'm not trying to nitpick, I did notice a thing or two. Warriors would have to be extra careful egressing from the craft from the rear or they might run into the engine wash from the turbos. On a routine run, it would not be a problem. However, if they were landing in a "Hot LZ", it could be a really big problem. I'm not sure what the solution might be to avoid this one issue.

The other is the seating arrangement in the rear area. It kinda looks cumbersome to get in and out. You might consider rotating the seats 90 degrees left and right (respectively) so the backs of each of the seats are against the fuselage. This would facilitate an easier entry and exit from the craft. The seating arrangement would be a similar design used in the Colonial shuttles as well.
Not a problem CBSG4ever, all comments welcome! I never watched Space above and beyond, so I dont know what that ship looks like.

I think the hot LZ wouldnt be too much of a problem as the engines would be pointing at the ground when the warriors are getting out, although care would be needed!

I will probably put bench seats down the side. The seating layout is a bit fluid at the moment.

Quote:
Pretty neat look. It looks like something from the Aliens universe to me. That could be a lot of fun animating.

Sandy
Cheers Sandy, with the weapon pods and all it will be fun to animate. I'm an animation novicem but I think this would look good, so I'll give it a try. I think the base design of hopper looks a bit mor "Galactic", but this is straying a bit from the original concept. I think I can see it flying with a Viper still though
Smallworld is offline   Reply With Quote