View Single Post
Old January 23rd, 2004, 05:39 AM   #29
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

I would say the "reinvention" of the genre comment is also in the category of publicity stunt. Or more appropriately, propaganda.
If it were truly and completely reinvented, then it would spawn a new genre, and would need to be named something besides sf. I will grant that the effort failed in that regard, and does not even create an original category of sub-genre.
I view the reinvention comment as setting an impossible standard. I do what all true believers do when faced with the impossible, I refuse to take it literally.

I think (assuming series is go) we will see a Living Legend knock off. RDM is on record about this. I would love to see this.

Sure, it is cherry picking, and I can understand some consternation from your point of view BST.

Giving a nod to the classic series could be interpreted by some as flattering recognition of TOS, and by others as blasphemy. Some of the TOS one-shot "filler" episodes like "Fire in Space" could be touched on, but thoroughly revamped. I am not so sure I would really like this, but I can say there is a possiblity of it being done well.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I do not want to see much in the way of alien life and cultures that are suddenly introduced. Sure, they are jumping into uncharted space, and could find anything. I just fear this would send the show down the "planet of the week" road. Certainly not reinventing the genre.
If I get my wish in this regard, it leaves little material to build a show around except the conflict with the Cylons, and the human vs human and fight for survival kinds of stories.

I would not favor the Hand of God being reimagined. I don't think it will graft to this at all. I think the religious aspects will examine the Cylon belief in possesing a soul. And the mini-Colonial's religious beliefs have the same element that Earth is a lost colony, so the scriptures of the Colonials would have to be examined. Some good material can emerge there. Maybe the preist class has "hidden" or "secret" scriptures that would reveal the true reason contact with Earth was lost.

Maybe the timeline could find Earth in a distant,forgotten past with technology on par with the Colonials, and the Cylons almost wipe us all out after they find Earth, but for some reason are defeated and humans lose all their technology.

Besides the Living Legend, I would agree that what has not been introduced already from the original should probably be left alone.