View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #28
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
How I would remake SOSW:
Well first of all, the "entire" fleet wouldnt be stupid enough to get blind sided. Its great to have Galactica go off on her quest for Earth with the survivors, but why couldnt some of the fleet have stayed behind to try to take back the colonies?
Well, there isn't really what one would call a "Fleet" that could do this. Important to differentiate that before the destruction, they would speak of the Fleet referring to other battlestars but after the destruction the Galactica is the last battlestar (other than the already missing Pegasus) and so you couldn't have ships that aren't warships stay behind to fight the Cylons.

In fact, I would say that leaving the Colonies behind forever, with no thought of ever going back (unlike what happens in that other show) only adds to the sense of epic mystique in TOS. It opens up the fact that they are going far out into the vast unknown of the universe for them as they undertake this journey, and that to me is what makes TOS special to begin with.

Finding out what happened to those who got left behind would IMO work better from the context of a straggling ship catching up to the Fleet later in the run of the series (after we go through all the original episodes) and filling in the details.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote