View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM   #27
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

How I would remake SOSW:
Well first of all, the "entire" fleet wouldnt be stupid enough to get blind sided. Its great to have Galactica go off on her quest for Earth with the survivors, but why couldnt some of the fleet have stayed behind to try to take back the colonies? Surely there was not enough room to take all the survivors, they even said so. So it could stand that one heck of a battle is still raging back home while the Galactica is off running about finding Earth. That would totally explain why the Cylons dont just thrash the Galactica when they find her, they cant, they are up to their ball bearings in Colonial Warships.
That would offer many potential spin off series. Thats a good thing!
Also, why not have a little more drama about people left behind. When Adama gave his "Send word" speech, it was just cut to them more or less flying off. Well, wouldnt it be rather interesting to see the process of people being denied, the emotional impact of the crew having to decide who goes and who dies. That would show some of the terror that surely would go with a horrific thing like the destruction of 12 planets! Also I would have loved to see some ground action, maybe the Colonial Warriors or the Marines skirmishing to hold back the Centurians from destroying pockets of survivors while they evacuated.
At first it seemed like there wernt really many female Warriors. That was one thing that I noticed, they were actually rare. Im not thinking any wonder women, GINO provides too much of that, but maybe at least ONE female Warrior that could fly as well as Starbuck.
I noticed a total lack of gay or lesbian characters. That sort of bothered me, I know many in the GLBT community who would latch onto a gay or les character if they had one to hold up as their favorite. TOS did a wonderful job of showing acceptance of all cultures, all people, but they did leave that one little bit out.
On the military side, I think the lack of any task force ships, like cruisers, destroyers, corvettes, that sort of thing, that was wierd. It seems like a fleet would consist of more than one type of ship. If they were all Battlestars, and only 12 of them, why even bother calling them by name, just say number 1 or number 7. If they had different types of ships, it would stand that maybe some of them survived, but stayed behind to try to take back the colonies. Maybe a few could go with the Galactica, that would give them some REAL protection, not just one carrier.
I do like the idea of ammo expending guns better than a laser blast. Someone in another thread talked about that, and I agree, I can imagine the pain, the trauma of gun shots, I deal with them daily in my internship, but I cannot put any sort of understanding into a phaser hit, it means little to me because I dont know what it "should" do. Also ammo expending weapons make it less likely they will run willy nilly about shooting everything they see.
In all SOASW was great, probably the best of the BSG TOS but it, like us all, could stand room for improvement. But not much....

tabbi
Tabitha is offline   Reply With Quote